To know if you comply, ask yourself the following questions:*
- Does your company have written documentation explaining the evacuation as well as emergency procedures?
- Does your company have adequate fire equipment?
- Is the necessary signage indication fire and evacuation routes in place?
- Are there adequate trained First Aiders (Level 1,2 & 3)?
- Are there adequate Fire Marshalls responsible for the evacuation of the building?
- Are there schematic designs mounted to the walls (emergency exits, fire equipment, hoses, smoke detectors, sprinklers, first aid boxes and assembly points)?
- Are there adequate Regulation First Aid Kits?
- Is there an alarm system in place to alarm employees in case of an emergency?
- Have you done evacuation drills with scenarios and written up reports?
If you answered NO to any of these questions, your company is liable and these aspects need to be addressed URGENTLY.
The following need to be in place:*
- An emergency and evacuation plan
- Adequate fire extinguishers and fire hoses
- Necessary signage
- Trained first aiders
- Trained fire marshalls
- Schematic designs on walls
- First aid kits
- Alarm system
- Evacuation drill with scenario training